September 26, 2009

Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes

Stand back, Alton Brown. I used Alton Brown's Whole Wheat pancake recipe, and modified it based on what I had at my house. All I can say is that I have really outdone myself. They were fabulous. So again I say - watch out, Alton Brown, 'cause these are some GOOD EATS!
These are hands down the best wheat pancakes I've ever had. I used red wheat flour, freshly ground, but you could use whatever you have on hand for a similar result.

2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 TBS. sugar
Mix above ingredients together and add:
2 eggs
1 c. plain yogurt
1 c. buttermilk (or 1 TBS. lemon juice and enough milk to make 1 cup - I let mine sit overnight)
3 TBS. salted butter
Now, whisk until incorporated (do not mix until smooth). Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
Spray griddle (350 degrees, or on medium heat) with butter flavored spray. Cook pancakes until some bubbles form on the top, then flip and cook other side for about 1 minute. Serve hot with fresh maple syrup and berries.
*These also freeze well (cool, then place in plastic bag for up to 3 months) . I make an entire batch (about 12 large pancakes), eat my 2, and freeze the rest to toast and serve later.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-Voltaire

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Visitors