December 20, 2009

Market Street Clam Chowder: My Version

I found a copy cat recipe for Market Street Clam Chowder, and I've modified it so it's just how I like it.

I served it in my beautiful homemade bread bowls.  I know, I am a horrible food photographer.  One day my pictures might look as good as my recipes taste.  Maybe I need a good camera.

1 c. chopped celery
1-2 c. chopped carrots
3 medium potatoes, cubed (I clean them and leave the skin on for some extra roughage)
1 vidalia onion, chopped
2 (6.5 oz) cans clams (juice reserved)
2 bay leaves
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
1/2 c. flour
2 c. whipping cream
1 c. milk (or more)
1/2 TBS. salt (or more, adjust to your liking)
1 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. (or more) hot sauce

Place celery, carrots, onion and potatoes in large stock pot.  Pour all of clam juice (set clams aside) on top, then add just enough water to cover the vegetables, add salt, peppers, hot sauce and bay leaves.  Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender.

In separate pan, melt butter, whisking in flour to create a paste (about the consistency of cookie dough).  Pour paste into pot with vegetables, and stir well to incorporate.  Add cream and milk and hot sauce.  Stir well.  Just before serving, stir in clams (if you add them too soon, they will become tough) to heat.  Serve warm in bread bowls or with crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-Voltaire

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Visitors