This is delicious cornbread - it's sweet, savory and goes with a salad, a meal, or just on it's own. It keeps well in the fridge and freezer - just warm in microwave or reheat in oven at 300 for 20 minutes.
1 large onion, chopped
2 T butter
2 T milk
2 large eggs
2-8 ½ oz. boxes corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy
2-14 ¾ oz. cans cream-style corn
4 oz can diced green chilies, drained
chopped pimentos to taste
1 C sour cream
1 ½ C shredded sharp cheddar cheese, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until opaque. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together milk, eggs, cornbread mix, creamed corn, chilies and pimentos. Pour the cornbread mixture into the greased pan.
4. Spoon the sautéed onions and sour cream onto th cornbread mixture and swirl throughout, as if you were making a marble cake. Top with cheese, if desired.
5. Bake 35-40 minutes. Let the cornbread cool for 10 minutes or more before cutting.
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.