August 28, 2010

Marriage Sugar Cookies

I do not like these sugar cookies. I call them marriage sugar cookies for two reasons.  First, these cookies have sometimes saved my marriage.  They have been my peace offering to my more-than-patient husband when I have been a not-so-nice wife.  If you stop by my house and see this dough chilling in the fridge, you can assume that my mister is deserving of something extra special.  These cookies are a symbol of my admission to him (let it not be an admission here, just to him) that perhaps my cookies are not better than his mother's cookies - or at least to his taste buds.  Don't worry, I have already begun conditioning my own children to believe that my cookies are best. 
Second, marriage is something that's easy to get into - these cookies are a cinch to whip together, but to perfect the dough, it has to chill and set, you get my drift?  Sometimes you don't see things coming.  Like the lemon flavor, for example.  It just does not do it for me.  However, my husband LOVES these cookies.  And because I love him, I make them for him all the time (what, are you accusing me of being a not-so-nice wife and owing him?).  Anyway, if you like sweet and flaky with a hint of lemon, you might....just might...enjoy my husband's all-time favorite.  Cringe. 
Now if you want a really GREAT cookie....CLICK HERE.

1 lb. butter
2 C. sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. baking sodia
1/4 tsp. salt
6 C. flour

Cream sugar & butter until fluffy.  Add eggs, vanilla and lemon.  Sift dry ingredients into bowl while beating.  Mix until incorporated.  Chill (overnight is best).  Preheat oven to 350. Roll out dough about 1/4" thick on floured surface.  Bake 8 minutes, remove from oven and let sit on pan for at least 5 minutes.  Remove to wire rack.  Cool entirely.  Frost.

Cookie Glaze:
Powdered sugar
add milk to get desired consistency
add a drop of vanilla
add food coloring if desired
stir until smooth.
Glaze cookies

Yields: a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-Voltaire

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Visitors