March 29, 2009

White Bread from Heaven

There's a story behind this bread. Ohhhhhhh, this bread. It is manna straight from heaven. I can never turn down a second (or third, or fourth...) slice of this white, soft goodness. When I was 12 or 13, I used to walk home with my friend Jenny from junior high. Her mom almost always had fresh bread and jam, and I'm sure I made a fool of my junior high self indulging in more than my fair share of daily bread at their house. Eventually, Jenny and I went separate ways, but, all these years later I still think about that bread. So much that I emailed my old friend Jenny and asked for her mom's recipe. She was sweet enough to oblige (thanks!)...

1/2 c. sugar

1/2 c. potato flakes

1/2 c. vegetable shortening

2 T. salt

5 c. milk, scalded (5 min. in microwave)

2 T. yeast

12-14 c. flour

Combine scalded milk, sugar, shortening, potato flakes, and salt in bread mixer.

When lukewarm , add two cups flour and yeast.

Add remaining flour until dough leaves the side of the bowl and knead for 5 to 7 minutes in mixer. Place dough in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until double (about 1 1/2 hours).

Punch dough down and let rise again until double.

Shape dough into 4 loaves and place in greased pans. Let rise until double.

Bake bread at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes or until bread is golden brown. Brush with butter. Let cool on racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-Voltaire

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Visitors