Can I just tell you that this bread is amazing?
Not to toot my own horn (toot! toot!), but this is by far my favorite wheat bread - and I can no longer eat any store bought wheat bread.
3 cups really warm water (110 F)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 TBS. vital wheat gluten (I've never made this recipe without, so I think it's necessary!)
2 TBS. dough enhancer (I've never made this recipe without, so I think it's necessary!)
3-4 cups all purpose white (or white wheat flour, if you prefer a more dense wheat flavor)
1. Combine honey, brown sugar, and warm water in a large glass or plastic bowl. Add yeast and let sit 10 minutes or until frothy.
2. Add the whole wheat flour, and stir until no dry clumps remain. Cover and let rest for at least 10 minutes (30 is ideal) or until bubbly.
3. Add salt, oil, vital wheat gluten, and dough enhancer, and remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Use Auto Knead function on mixer and knead until smooth (about 8 minutes). Cover with warm, damp towel, and let rise in a warm place 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. Lightly grease a loaf pan with cooking spray. Punch down the dough and form into a log (it helps to cover your hands with oil or cooking spray first). Place the dough into the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan and cover again with a warm, damp towel (cheese cloth works great). Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled (the dough should rise at least an inch above the top of the pan).
5. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown on top (the loaf will sound hollow when tapped). Remove from the pan to cool on a wire rack. Brush with butter. Cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. Keeps for several days at room temperature and much longer in the freezer.
Makes 2 (9x5 pan) loaves.