March 6, 2010

Oprah's Tomato Soup, Modified

Isn't this picture dreamy? You can thank my husband.  I know the way to his heart is through his stomach.  He figured the way to my heart was to give me a new Nikon D-SLR camera to photograph my culinary creations (it worked, in case you were wondering).  I'm still learning, but I. am. in. love. 
Better pictures of all my recipes coming soon!
Oprah could talk me into just about anything.  She didn't even have to tell me about this recipe, I just found it while looking through some of her recipes (yes, I spend my free time looking at recipes - almost all of my free time).  I modified this so I could serve it to my son with PKU.  It was hit with everyone.  Just the right amount of creamy vs. vegetable-y.  Really simple flavor, but very refined.  This soup will have you licking your lips, and your bowl.  Served with grilled cheese sandwich strips.

3 Tbsp. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot , diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 TBS. dried parsley (or 4-6 sprigs of fresh parsley)
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Saute onion, carrot and celery until onion is translucent.  Add tomatoes, parsley, vegetable stock, salt & pepper.  Simmer for 30 minutes, or until carrots and celery are soft.  Blend with hand blender until smooth (I left a few small chunks in mine).  Add cream, heat through.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-Voltaire

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Visitors