April 28, 2010

Boiled Beets, Warm Beet Salad. Trust Me.

Did your mom ever try to get you to like beets - those sick-nasty pickled ones from the day old salad bar?    Eeewww.   Only die-hards can eat those.  On the other hand, my mother is right.  Beets ARE good.  I've waited a long tme to try them, but eating them fresh was a whole new experience.  I made them for this yummy warm beet salad, but you could EASILY make them and eat them plain or for a side dish.  They are really, really good.  And very simply to make.
Buy beet root at any grocery store in the produce section.  They look like this:

Snip off the tops at the very tip of the root.  Save the greens.  Throw them in a pot of boiling water and boil the heck out of them.  My beets were about the size of tangerines, a little smaller than tennis balls.  Mine boiled for about 35 minutes.  Boil it long enough to be able to pierce it with a fork, it should be a little more firm than a boiled potato, and the skin should peel right off.  Take them out, let them cool a bit, remove peels and dice into 1 inch cubes or slices.  Return to pan with 1/2 TBS. butter.  Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir until warm and coated.  YUM.  Sample one - you'll see what I'm talking about.

So, if you haven't already eaten them all, try this salad.  It's simple - and this is for one serving.
1 seasoned, grilled chicken breast, warm and sliced
1 c. chopped beet greens
1 c. baby spring mix
1/2 c. warm, diced beets
sprinkle of parmesan or feta cheese (optional - I opted out this time)
spritz of favorite vinaigrette (I LOVE Brianna's Blush Wine, it's amazing)
Try this salad.  It screams simplicity, and will tickle your taste buds.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. I LOVE beets! Although until about a year ago, I thought I hated them. Now, I think I planted half of our garden with beets. :)
    I think roasted beets are even better than boiled beets. Add some goat cheese, candied almonds, balsamic vinegar, and WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-Voltaire

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Visitors