Pure Taco Heaven - straight from guest chef Amanda!
Taco seasoning pk.
Small Corn Tortillas
Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese
Mexican Rice (see recipe below)
Salsa (see recipe below)
Crushed pineapple (**secret ingredient **gives taco a fresh new taste! It’s delicious!)
Mamma Sue’s Mexican Rice
Slice Chicken breasts, and cook along with package of taco seasoning, (according to directions) in a non-stick sauce pan.
Heat soft corn tortilla in a bit of olive oil sprinkle with mozzarella or cheddar cheese and melt.
Add a scoop of Mexican rice (to tortilla with cheese) and then top with Chicken, lettuce, crushed pineapple*, tomato, favorite salsa, green onions, olives, and top with sour cream and Cilantro.
B. Mama Sue’s Mexican Rice
1 cup uncooked rice (white, Jasmine: if you use Brown Rice, add 1 more cup of water, cook for total of 45 min!)
1 T olive oil
4 oz. tomato sauce (I sometimes use spaghetti sauce! Ragu Traditional)
2 cups water
½ Finely chopped onion
1 or 2 Crushed garlic
In a non-stick sauce pan, brown rice with olive oil on medium/ low heat. Add tomato sauce and water, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes, till nice and sticky!
C. Homemade Salsa-
Recipe from my good friend: Jodee Egbert
SAUCE BASE ADD-INS:
1 (28-oz.) can Whole Tomatoes**
5-6 Diced Green Onions
1 Tablespoon Garlic Salt
1/3 c. Diced cilantro
3 teaspoons ground Cumin
1 – 1 ½ T. diced green chilies
1/2 teaspoon ground Oregano
3-4 Roma Tomatoes Cubed
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne/red pepper
1 Tablespoon canned diced jalapeños
Dash sugar to taste
1. Open can of whole tomatoes and using lid, poor tomato juice in blender.
2. Add other ingredients from sauce base. (Do not add the ADD-INS yet.)
3. Blend ingredients from sauce base on low to medium for 10 to 20 seconds until well blended.
4. Add the ADD-INS and whole tomatoes left in the can to the sauce base in the blender and blend on low until tomatoes reach the consistency desired. Less time for chunky, more for saucy.
Caution: Do not over-blend the ADD-INS.
5. Let sit overnight for better flavor.
**You can also use fresh tomatoes for this recipe (about 6-8 fresh tomatoes)… just cut tomatoes and squeeze juices into blender!